essential tennis podcast

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Saturday, December 27, 2008

Playing Tennis is a Privilege

Over the past few months I've had a topic running through my head that I really want to get out there in the open. It's one of many topics that I'm writing about as it pertains specifically to tennis, however the lesson can be applied to just about anything in life. That's one of the many reasons that I enjoy teaching tennis so much, it's always my hope that people on my court don't just learn about an athletic skill, but rather learn lessons that can touch many other aspects of life. When that happens my job is truly rewarding. This topic is not unique, it's not extremely deep or creative, but it's something I feel very strongly about and simply wish to communicate to all my listeners and readers.

Playing Tennis is a Privilege

My wife and I recently took a trip to the Bahamas, it was our first vacation together by ourselves and we had a very relaxing time which was exactly our goal in mind. Neither of us has done much traveling outside of the United States, and were immediately taken aback by the living conditions on Nassau after coming into port there. The residential areas consisted of run down homes with only a few rooms in them, some were literally only shacks with roofs that were patched together out of corrugated steel. Almost all had garbage littered everywhere outside, sometimes in piles. This may have been easier to stomach if we hadn't taken our bus tour of the town immediately after a boat ride around Paradise Island showcasing decadent homes of multi-millionaire actors and celebrities. Scenes like this always touch me anyway, but to drive the point home even further, this happened to be during the week of Thanksgiving. Talk about being reminded of what I'm thankful for.

Why am I spending my time and space on a web site talking about sad conditions such as these? Because having experiences such as these gives me such a deep appreciation and thankfulness that I'm able to pursue a leisure activity such as tennis. This appreciation is part of what drives me to do my best every time I step on a court, both in playing and teaching, and it's my hope that you learn to keep this in perspective as well. Don't ever take for granted that you have the luxuries of time, money, physical ability, and facilities to go out and pursue excellence in such a wonderful sport such as ours. Some of us have more or less of these luxuries than others, but if you're reading this article right now chances are you're much more equipped in all four of these areas than a lot of the people in the world, and for that be thankful!

Unfortunately I'm embarrassed to say that I've not always lived up to the noble ideals written about above. I've thrown my racket in anger on the court, I've been down in a match and allowed my attitude to be sour, I've coasted through lessons at the end of long a day on the court. What does this make me? Completely human, and I'm sure you can relate. I'm not proud of any of those things, but I can be proud of my desire and effort to improve all of them little by little.

Next time you catch yourself getting down on the court, only giving partial effort, or complaining about your practice conditions and partner please take a step back, close your eyes, and think for a few seconds. Grip the court with your toes below you, turn the tennis ball between your fingers, feel the sun on your face if you happen to be outside, take a deep breath, and smile. You get to play tennis, what a blessing.
Bookmark and Share
posted by Ian Westermann at

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

I love that your being self-reflexive about tennis and the life-opportunities we have to enjoy and play this sport - it is over looked most of the time.

January 7, 2009 at 5:49 PM  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home


 

 

 

 

 

 


     PODCAST     IAN'S BLOG     GEAR REVIEWS    TOUR NEWS     PROSHOP     SPONSORS    FEEDBACK    ABOUT YOU     FORUM